ASREN is Hiring - Open Position - Senior Systems Engineer
The Arab States Research and Education Network (ASREN) is a non- profit German organization, which was established in 2011 with a mission to setup a dedicated regional e-Infrastructure network for research and education across the Arab region. ASREN is the official Regional Research and Education Network (RREN) for the Arab region and aims to connect National Research and education Networks (NRENs) of the Arab countries between each other and with their peers in Europe and the rest of the world through ASREN PoP in London.
ASREN is collaborating for additional PoPs in United Arab Emirates and Egypt as two regional open exchange points for inter-regional data communication. It will be also providing computational platforms for applications, services, and tools for a variety of research and education communities. The purpose is to facilitate collaboration and enable open access to science in a wider context. eduroam is a common service that has been widely deployed in by some Arab NRENs to facilitate authenticated WiFi access across universities and institutions around the world.
ASREN has been an active partner in several European funded projects such as EUMEDCONNECT3, AfricaConenct2 and AfricaConenct3. It closely works with regional research and education network across the globe, including GEANT, WACREN, Red Clara, Ubununet Alliance, APAN and Internet2. The main objective is to coordinate and harmonize interoperable platform for open access to research and education repositories and resources.
ASREN is seeking a qualified systems engineer to contribute to the development of ASREN e-Infrastructure and deployment of REN applications and services at the Arab regional and national NRENs in the context of EUMEDCONNECT and AFRICACONNECT projects.
Position Essential functions:
- Designs, configures, and implements ASREN regional AAI and identity provider infrastructure
- Supports the development of the Arab national idps and manages their regional interconnection
- Supports deployment for eduroam and eduGain across the networks of ASREN’s NREN members
- Sets up ASREN’s science gateway and implements its interoperable platform
- Supports the development of NRENs and configuration of related REN services
- Supports cybersecurity services to ASREN and NREN communities at large
- Supports regional capacity building plan by offering training in eduroam, idps, cybersecurity and network operation for NREN members in coordination with GEANT, Ubuntunet Alliance and WACREN
- Supports the development of open science cloud and necessary authentication mechanisms
- Coordinates and implements ASREN’s e-Learning portal
- Works closely with Regional CTOs and technical staff of regional RENS and NREN members of ASREN
- Supports the consolidation of services and accessibility to HPC, Clouds, and other computational resources and repositories
Minimum requirements and essential qualifications
- Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 5 years of technical experience in systems administration include Linux systems
- Experience in security including AAI, Firewall, IDP, Certificate Authority services….
- Good knowledge in internet technologies and services, cloud computing, and REN services
- Excellent programming skills (Java, APIs etc.) in Linux platform
- Good knowledge of system administration, mainly Linux systems
- Good knowledge of cloud infrastructures, preferably Open Stack
- Good knowledge of web development, services, technologies and open source content management systems
- Good knowledge of technologies, mainly active directory and LDAP
- Good knowledge of project management principles and tools
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates high standards of professional conduct
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays when needed
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply by filling the job application form: https://forms.gle/zQw9ceasEr4bn7Pt9 no later than 1 February 2020.