1. Together with EUMEDCONNECT2 in Düsseldorf
The meeting was held on March 30, 2011 to discuss the registration update of ASREN, with its main shareholders.
Together with EUMEDCONNECT2 project partners, discussions focused on:
- ASREN articles of association, shareholders, and legal structure
- Updates of partner status/plans in connectivity and usage
- EUMEDCONNECT2 services and activities, Including agreement to use partner reserves to extend all current connectivity services on current terms
- EUMEDCONNECT3 proposal to EC with different models of operations, including work packages and activities
- ASREN planning, activities, operations, finances, knowledge transfers, and role of ASREN in EUMEDCONNECT3
2. Together with EUMEDCONNECT2 in Amman
The General Assembly of ASREN held its first meeting in Amman on July 26, 2011 under the Chairmanship of HE Dr. Talal Abu-Ghazaleh, Chairman of ASREN. The meeting was attended by Dr. Sultan Abu Orabi, Secretary- General of the Association of Arab Universities, Dr. AbdulRahim Hunaiti, Chairman of JUNET, and Mr. David West, Projects Manager in the Delivery of Advanced Network Technology to Europe (DANTE) as well as representatives of national networks in Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Morocco and Turkey.
Dr. Abu-Ghazaleh extended his gratitude to His Majesty King Abdullah II bin Al Hussein for the Royal Patronage of the first international platform on integrating Arab e-infrastructures in a global environment that will be organized by ASREN in Amman during December 12-14, 2011 in cooperation with EUMEDCONNECT Network, the US Research and Education Network in the Middle East, and the Association of Arab Universities.
Dr. Abu-Ghazaleh praised the role played and the achievements made by ASREN in such a short time, particularly its efforts in establishing Arab e-infrastructures to support research and education and promote effective participation in the field of e-sciences.
The research focused on urgency of work with the Arab countries to support the establishment of national research and education networks and connect them to the Arab regional network, the establishment of which is supported by the European Union through the EUMEDCONNECT Project. Subsequently, the national research and education networks will be connected to the international regional networks and cooperation with the Association of Arab Universities will be enhanced.
Dr. Abu-Ghazaleh emphasized his support to establish the Arab regional network, and extended his thanks to the European Union for its support to the 3rd phase of the EUMEDCONNECT Project, through which the practical and technological procedures of ASREN will be supported.