e-AGE, stands for the International Platform on Integrating Arab e-Infrastructure in a Global Environment, is an annual international event organized by the Arab States Research and Education Network, ASREN. Since its launch in December 2010 at the League of Arab States, it was decided to have this annual activity move from one Arab country to another. e-AGE is in line with ASREN’s major objectives related to creating awareness, promoting R&E collaboration and joint activities and establishing human networks in order to facilitate collaboration and cooperation among researchers and academicians in the Arab region and the rest of the world.
e-AGE is meant to be the launching pad for R&E connectivity and cooperation. It brings together ASREN, EUMEDCONNECT, GÉANT, AfREN and INTERNET2 stakeholders and the region’s foremost innovators, leaders, scientists, and businesses to discuss and debate new models of innovation, integration of R&E networks, policies for sustainable development in education, means of knowledge sharing and dissemination, capacity building programs, and region-wide e- infrastructure deployment to tackle today’s crises in climate change, global economy, food, water scarcity, alternative energy, and environmental issues. The forum can lay the foundation for a dream of many of today’s leaders towards a global e-infrastructure for R&E, based on real life inclusiveness beyond any political protocols.
In general, the objectives and activities of e-AGE include:
- Announce achievements and present future planning and activities in the research and education arena
- Bring to the attention of politicians and decision makers the importance of e-Infrastructures in order to support research and education communities in the Arab world and beyond
- Present case studies and showcase examples of collaborative research using e-Infrastructure resources and facilities
- Support a sustainable pan-Arab research and education network with links to the European GÉANT backbone, the North American Internet2 network and other regional networks around the world
- Attract foundations and international donors to support the development of ASREN and regional research e-Infrastructure
- Strengthen the private sector involvement in developing research and supporting innovation
- Review in-depth existing e-infrastructure, connectivity, and services and explore opportunities for linkage to Arab and global N/R RENs