ESCWA is organizing the inaugural edition of the Arab International Digital Cooperation and Development Forum (DCDF2021) from 13 to 23 December 2021 virtually on Zoom. The event occurs under the One United Nations initiative and within the framework of the Arab States Action Programme on “Advancing Digital Cooperation and Development”, launched by ESCWA in 2020. More information on this event will be made available on ESCWA’s website.
The Arab States Research and Education Network (ASREN) will contribute to the event with a session on “Digital Research and Education Infrastructure to Support Science and Achieve the UN-SDGs”. The session will take place (virtually) on Monday, 21 December between 10:00 - 11:15 Beirut Time (UTC+2).
This session, under the Arab WSIS track, will present and discuss the research and education infrastructure and the role of National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) and Regional Research and Education Networks (RRENs) in supporting the developments of research and education in the Arab region and the way forward to better support these communities.
The session will discuss the following:
- What are research and education networks and what do they do and why are they critical to development? It will also go through models and practices in deploying these networks;
- Services provided by research and education networks and examples of successful networks from the region;
- Examples on engagement with scientists, researchers and academics with research and education networks from the region to demonstrate how they can benefit from these networks, infrastructures, and services;
- Challenges and obstacles facing the developments of these networks and associated infrastructures and services;
- The future role of research and education networks under the new global challenges, especially the UN-ADGs.
Find out more details on ASREN’s session, in addition to the event agenda at: https://dcdf-2021.unescwa.org/ and join HERE.
Stakeholders are highly encouraged to join the High-Level DCDF inaugural session, scheduled to take place on 14 December, at 12:00 pm Beirut Time.