Information Security Training – Virtual Learning with Experts
Monday, 14 March 2022 - Wednesday, 30 March 2022
To register send an email to: email@example.com
This course looks at the process of how to best select and implement security measures to effectively address an organization’s security requirements. This process involves examining three fundamental questions: (a) what assets need to be protected, (b) how those assets are threatened, and (c) what can be done to counter those threats. IT security management is the formal process of answering these questions, ensuring that critical assets are sufficiently protected in a cost-effective manner.
System/network administrators at NRENs or NREN member organisations
System administrators at computing centres or NOCs
- Understand the process involved in IT security management.
- Describe an organization’s IT security objectives, strategies, and policies.
- Detail some alternative approaches to IT security risk assessment.
- Detail steps required in a formal IT security risk assessment.
- Characterize identified threats and consequences to determine risk.
- Detail risk treatment alternatives
- Solid understanding of information security fundamentals
- Understand network, hardware, software, and application security
|Session Title||Date||Time (UTC)|
|Introduction to security incident response||Monday 3/14/2022||11:00 -13:00|
|Security intelligence and SOC tooling||Wednesday 3/16/2022||11:00 -13:00|
|Overview of international security collaboration||Monday 3/21/2022||11:00 -13:00|
|Campus Security Talks||Wednesday 3/23/2022||14:00 -16:00|
|Brazilian NREN CSIRT Experience||Monday 3/28/2022||11:00 -13:00|
|IT security management||Wednesday 3/30/2022||11:00 -13:00|
- Eriko Porto, For more than 16 years Eriko has been working in the roll-out of network infrastructures across various continents. Eriko has worked for RedCLARA from 2004 to 2010, leading the network implementation, and successfully establishing the network infrastructure for research and education, within the Latin American region and towards Europe. From 2010 to 2016 Eriko has successfully developed the R&E network for the Caribbean region – C@ribNET. Eriko delivered the strategic planning and the implementation of the supporting regional network infrastructure; leaded the teams of network engineering and operations; and provided guidance and support for the development of the embryonic NRENs in the Caribbean region. Eriko has also worked as a Professor of Computer Networks related courses for universities in Brazil, and as Instructor on several workshops developed and delivered to the R&E community.At present Eriko is a consultant for Information Technology and Security, working with ASREN – The Arab States Research and Education Network – based in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Edilson Lima, security manager at CAIS, security team (CSIRT) of the Brazilian Education and Research Network - RNP. With 17 years of experience in the security area, he led several projects and teams in companies in the financial, teaching and research sectors.
- Emilio Nakamura is the CISO at RNP with more than 23 years of experience in information security and privacy. M.Sc., CISSP, CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP Executive MBA. Author of network security books and national and international papers in risk management, network security, privacy, security management, access control, IoT security and blockchain.
- Roderick Mooi joined GÉANT in 2021 as an Information Security Officer focused on DDoS mitigation and cyber threat intelligence. Prior to this he had various roles in the research and education sector including the establishment of the South African NREN Computer Security Incident Response Team (SA NREN CSIRT). Roderick is keen to support collaboration between GÉANT, R&E stakeholders and the broader community.
The training program consists of a number of live online, instructor-led sessions covering a wide range of subjects (sub-modules) on:
- Module 1: Information Security Fundamentals, 24 May - 9 June 2021, Online
- Module 2: Internet Security, 5 - 21 July 2021, Online
- Module 3: Computer Security, 6 - 22 September 2021, Online
- Module 4: IT Security Management, 14 - 30 March 2022, Online